Board of Representatives Ruling of April 9, 2010
Article 1. These guidelines shall prescribe necessary matters regarding the acceptance of overseas visiting research fellows who wish to be engaged in research in the Hokkaido University Faculty of Engineering (hereinafter referred to as the “Faculty”).
Article 2. Overseas visiting research fellows in these guidelines refer to those research fellows who are not supported by the systems under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (independent administrative agencies) or other Japanese organizations.
Article 3. Overseas visiting research fellows who fall under the following items shall be accepted.
- (1) When promoting collaborative research with overseas researchers and others to conduct a specific research.
- (2) When regarded as contributing to academic advancements through exchanges with overseas researchers, equivalent to the preceding item.
(Requirements for Acceptance and Title)
Article 4. Persons who are eligible to be overseas visiting research fellows shall be those who fall under the following items.
- (1) Persons who are regarded as equivalent to professors, associate professors or lecturers in the Faculty.
- (2) Persons who are regarded as equivalent to those in the preceding item.
2. Overseas visiting research fellows who fall under Item 1 of the preceding paragraph may be granted the title of Overseas Guest Researchers.
Article 5. Departments shall, when wishing to accept overseas visiting research fellows, be required to apply for permission to the Director of the Faculty through the Managing Director at least a month prior to the intended date of acceptance, attaching necessary documents including the researchers’ resumes, academic achievements and acceptance reports.
2. The acceptance of overseas visiting research fellows may be permitted as needed.
Article 6. The period of research conducted by overseas visiting research fellows shall be at least 1 month and up to 1 year. However, this period can be extended when deemed to be necessary for research.
2. Article 5, Paragraph 1 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the approval of period extension.
Article 7. With regard to research activities by overseas visiting research fellows in the Faculty, special treatment will be provided, as long as there is no hindrance of educational research
(Salary and Other Costs)
Article 8. Travel and living expenses and salary shall not be paid to overseas visiting research fellows. However, this shall not apply to that paid based on the provisions of the National University Corporation Hokkaido University Donation Rules.
Article 9. With regard to accidents while accepting overseas visiting research fellows, no compensation shall be made.
Article 10. In addition to that prescribed in these agreements, necessary matters shall be determined by the Director of the Faculty.
- These guidelines will come into effect from April 9, 2010 and apply from April 1, 2010.
- Agreements on the Acceptance of Overseas Visiting Research Fellows to Hokkaido University Faculty of Engineering (as of April 1, 1997) and Agreements on the Acceptance of Overseas Visiting Research Fellows to the Center for the Advanced Research of Energy & Materials Hokkaido University will be abolished.